1.06.2008

I'm shrinking, maybe?

I've never been one of those gals who obsessed over her weight, was addicted to deadly diet fads, or who spends hours scrutinizing her body in the mirror. I don't "watch what I eat" or "count calories" or keep a food journal. My vegan diet pretty much keeps me out of the danger zone where that's concerned. In fact, I've been pretty comfortable in my own skin for as long as I can remember. I'm no super model, but I'm healthy and active and what more could I really want, right?

So, it comes as a big surprise to me today when I slipped on my brand new pair of corduroy pants. I tried them on at the store before making my purchase last week, and I was surprised at that time to find that I was walking out with a size smaller than my "usual" size. At the time, I assumed it must be one of those quirky manufacturer things. All the women out there know exactly what I mean. Size 8 from one company equals Size 14 from another. It's really a mystery where they come up with these numbers!

At any rate, my one-size-smaller pants are fitting so loosely today that I will definitely require a belt before venturing out in public. They're big at the waist and even a little loose through the hip area (where I don't have much "going on"). I am officially perplexed.

If I've lost weight, I hadn't noticed. I don't own a scale to confirm or deny this theory. So, the mystery will persist. I think a more likely explanation is that I must have, somehow, stumbled upon the cousin of the infamous Traveling Pants. This is obviously the pair they opted not to make a film about, and I can see why. It's difficult to be inspiring when your drawers are falling down.

No comments: